Sunday, December 18, 2022

Spanish Macabeo wine: My first tasting

 In the Winter Wines Advent calendar that I had gotten at Lidl, and have been enjoying my way through during this time, today's wine is a Macabeo white wine from Spain! It is just wonderful! It is very smooth, and medium-bodied. I am truly glad I have made its acquaintance. 

In looking online about this grape that I hadn't heard of before, I learned that most Macabeo is produced in Spain, with France in the number two slot. Apparently the grapes are used primarily in white wine blends. 

A huge proportion of Macabeo comes from the Rioja region of Spain, where the locals call it Viura. The nearby Navarra region calls it this, as well. 

In France, most Macabeo is from the Languedoc region. 

I promise I will be looking for more Macabeo in my local area! A delightful find, courtesy of Lidl!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Making homemade blackberry and blueberry wine

 On September 29th, I began fermenting two very small bottles of wine: one blackberry and one blueberry. Simple ingredients: the fruit, suga...